Aldersgate United Methodist Church
Title: Director of Children’s Ministry
Date: July16, 2020
Supervised by: Senior Minister
Aldersgate United Methodist Church is accepting applications for a full-time Director of Children’s Discipleship (ages birth through 6th grade). The mission of the church is “to know Jesus and make Him known” so this position is responsible for implementing this mission by recruiting new children and families to the church, retaining current membership through innovative and thoughtful practices to grow the knowledge of Jesus and His church and oversee the church’s Weekday Children’s Ministry (WCM).
We are looking for a dynamic leader in children’s ministry with a strong track record of leading and growing a successful program. Candidate must be an excellent communicator, listener, creative thinker, visionary and problem solver with a strong understanding of scripture and Methodist theology. A sound knowledge of childhood development techniques is required and a strong ability to lead children, support their families and train volunteers in a school and church environment is important for this position.
Primary Responsibilities Include (But Are Not Limited To):
- Recruit, train, oversee and encourage all children’s ministry volunteers, including Volunteer Children’s Ministry Team
- Plan, promote and supervise a program of activities for the population of children with special attention given to church events conducted throughout the calendar year. The Children’s Minister will work closely with the Senior Pastor to include children in every aspect of holiday worship (IE Palm Sunday, Easter, Christmas, etc.).
- Plan regular fellowship opportunities for church/WCM children and parents with targeted outreach to potential new families
- Prepare and submit an annual budget for the Children’s Ministry
- Schedule, plan and prepare for events focusing on celebrating new births/baptism and providing guidance for Christian parenting:
- Parent Equipping—may include special events with speakers on topics of concern regarding children (IE: bullying, balancing digital media, the right age to start potty training, etc.) Events should be scheduled at least once a quarter.
- New births—working with new parents and the Senior Pastor, new births should be announced and celebrated with photos and special recognition during the service. Work with new parents and the Senior Pastor to schedule and plan baptisms.
- Supervise the Nursery Coordinator
- Supervise the WCM Director and provide direct support, as needed, to the WCM
- Ensure Safe Sanctuaries policy is being followed by parents and volunteers; Maintain proper records and, if needed, teach an annual training course for volunteers and parents
- Lead chapel, bible verse, story, prayer and birthday recognition daily for children attending the WCM
- Lead bible story and art classes for various WCM classes daily
- Greet parents and children daily during WCM drop-off and pick-up; Share information about church events; Extend personal invitation for church attendance
- Coordinate special events highlighting WCM. Events may include, but are not limited to, Wednesday night musicals, Sunday morning presentations, etc. Thoughtful attention must be paid to creating at least one event per quarter to connect church congregation to WCM children/families
- Plan, organize and provide direct support for summer Vacation Bible School.
- Plan, organize and provide direct support for United Methodist children’s connections through cooperative efforts among UM churches, like Blue Lake Camp.
- Provide regular communication on children’s activities for church website, bulletin, newsletter, etc. This communication can also be used as an opportunity to extend invitations to attend children’s programming.
- Fulfill additional responsibilities of being a member of Aldersgate UMC staff, such as hospital and home visits, attend staff meetings and other church-wide events as directed
Education: College degree in education or religion, along with appropriate hands-on experience desired. A proven five to ten-year successful track record of experience in childcare and/or school administration may be substituted for the formal education preference.
Continuing Education: Aldersgate UMC will provide funding and support for continuing education opportunities in accordance with church policy/needs and budget.
Application Deadline: Please submit cover letter expressing interest and highlighting previous work to Bill Haigler at [email protected].
WEEKDAY CHILDREN'S MINISTRY
Aldersgate United Methodist Church is seeking individuals to fill substitute positions for its Weekday Children’s Ministry Preschool program.
The candidate we seek should be highly motivated and have a passion for working in an Early Childhood Ministry environment. Candidates must have a strong religious foundation, a background in childcare, have a high school diploma or GED, and be at least 19 years of age. Experience teaching in a kindergarten program, completion of education classes, and/or a bachelor’s degree in education is preferred.
Applicants should submit a resume with three references listed and a one page letter of interest. If applicants are selected for an interview, they will also have to fill out a WCM job application. If selected for the position, there will be a background check conducted through the Alabama Department of Human Resources (DHR).
Applicants should email their resume to Lana Ward, Co-Director of Aldersgate Weekday Children’s Ministry ([email protected]) or bring it by our preschool office, which is located at the back of the church. The church campus is located at 6610 Vaughn Road, Montgomery, Alabama 36116.
Substitute Teacher Positions